Monday 4 May 2009

Ouch!.......

I have a tale to tell......one that may raise a smile, but was less than amusing experience for me!!

As Alex has a variety of medical needs, I regularly stop off at our village pharmacy to pick up filled prescriptions. On Friday I stopped by & there was a young male pharmacist manning the shop, who I had not met before. On handing over the prescription, he asked me if I was Alex's Grandmother?!!!


I resisted the urge to laugh & then cry, instead, assuring the embarrassed young man that, no, I wasn't at all offended.(yeah right!) As soon as the script was filled I went home & sat in front of the mirror for a time, trying to see what he could see!! I'd always felt I was holding up pretty well, but maybe it's time to rethink!!

I regaled my girlfriends with the story at dinner on Friday evening, to much raucous laughter & reassurance, & one even had a tale to match:

Kali (my partner in crime at Slimming World!) & her husband were lucky enough to be invited to a wedding in New York last weekend, & were in the hotel restaurant for dinner. The waitress asked could she bring Kali some juice or soda with her meal. Kali said she would like a glass of wine & was asked if she really wanted to order wine 'in her condition'!!! Now, Kali's youngest has just started school - enough said!

Nothing like a night out with the girls to keep things in perspective, but maybe I will be using the old mascara wand & lip gloss on a more regular basis!!!

As the sun was still in evidence on Saturday, albeit accompanied by a stiff breeze, we did a very British thing & got out the barbecue!! Hubby, as tradition requires, took control of the cooking & sausages, chicken, ribs & burgers were soon sizzling away!

By the time I'd laid the table, tossed a salad & cut some bread, it was declared ready & we sat down to eat, although I have to admit to adding a couple of layers of clothing as the breeze developed into a bluster!! But at least it was dry!!! For dessert, Hubby had secretly bought a HUGE tub of Rocky Road ice cream, which I valiantly refused, in favour of a black coffee!! (when I'm good, I'm really, really good!!)

Once that was all cleared away, my menfolk settled in front of the TV & I escaped to my craft space to scrap!! Well, it was National Scrapbooking Day after all!! 'Color Me Daisy' are running a Month Long Crop & I had made note of their first challenge - 'Happiness' : What it means to me' or 'What makes me happy'. I spent a blissful couple of hours working on this layout!


The photo was taken on the day we brought Nathan home from the hospital, ten years ago!! Back when Alex was thrilled to have a baby brother, before they grew into the 'battling duo' they are today!!! But it's true you know, even through all the challenges & frustrations of family life, I wouldn't ever want to be without my lot - warts & all!!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Gorgeous layout Sandi!
As for the incident with the pharmacist .... I had something very similar a couple of years ago. I took a trip to a (no longer in business) scrap shop with a friend who's only 7 years younger than I am. The owner of the shop greeted the shop with 'Hello! You've brought your mother with you today' And then - when I gave her the benefit of my best Paddington Bear glare - rather than apologising she simply said: 'Obviously not!'
I wasn't impressed, I can tell you!LOL!
At least your pharmacist had the good grace to be embarrassed....