Monday 8 March 2010

Candles, Cupcakes & Fabulous Films…

OK…so it’s Monday once again…apart from my gripe about bad housekeeping on Saturday it was quite a festive weekend! On Friday, the Lower School in the village, where Lee works, had it’s ‘World Book Day’ dress up day. Even the staff dress up & Lee decided to go as James Bond…he looked very dapper in his DJ & black tie as he set off! However, as the day wore on,  the kids were unanimous that he was in fact, meant to be Alfred the Butler from Batman!!! I think he was quite gutted to think he looked more Michael Caine than Daniel Craig!! Me…I’m saying nothing!!!!

It was also Lee’s birthday on Friday & although I had intended to bake a traditional birthday cake, I ended up opting for a batch of Cupcakes…not chocolate of course, as I’m still resisting chocolate for Lent, & that would have meant I couldn’t have one…hmmm…chocolate might have been the better idea actually, as I ended up eating TWO!!!
 
I used a recipe for carrot cake (so at least there were vegetables involved, which must make them healthier!!!), topped off with cream cheese frosting & I managed to find some edible gold stars & gold candles to make them look really festive.  As it was Lee’s Fumptiphumpond birthday I decided against a full count of candles & opted for a token nine instead!!

We decided to celebrate with an overdue visit to the cinema…more on that to follow later…& then we went to ‘The Barn’ restaurant, which is a Beefeater & has something on the menu for all of us!  Lee had his usual steak…I had grilled chicken…Nathan chose a half rack of ribs & Alex, who is always a challenge, tucked into fries & garlic bread!!!!

Nathan insisted on drinking his sparkling apple juice from a wine glass…very sophisticated!! None of us had dessert as we knew the cupcakes were waiting at home for us!

Once home Lee opened his cards & presents & we settled down with coffee & cupcakes to rehash the movie we had just seen…you may remember we had planned to see it on Nathan’s birthday, but Alex was ill…so it was great to finally see it & so well worth the wait!…

It was, of course…Avatar!!  What an AMAZING movie!! We saw it in 3D & that was fabulous…the effects are stunning & the story absolutely gripping. I know it’s the usual good versus evil, but it was so well executed.


There was enough action to keep the boys interested, a bit of romance for me & a great ending for all of us!!! It is so easy to see how it has picked up so many awards!!
The best accolade came from my boys… “when do you think they’ll bring out ‘Avatar 2?”!!
Alex has been playing the game on X-Box ever since!!
I think Lee enjoyed his birthday!!
Saturday you know about…& NO I did not even so much as touch either bedroom! I have cleaned today & have the laundry all sorted & ready for ironing tomorrow, but I have simply closed the doors on the offending areas!!…For now at least!!!

Yesterday was work as usual…& afterwards Amanda & I went to see ‘Alice in Wonderland’…..another fabulous movie & so good to see it at launch!!Johnny Depp & Helena Bonham-Carter are just perfect as Mad Hatter & Red Queen…Matt Lucas fabulous as the Tweedles Dum & Dee… & Barbara Windsor surprised us as the Dormouse!! Disney have outdone themselves…great fun!!

Tomorrow is the first anniversary of my blogging adventure!! I’m planning to have my years worth of posts made into a book, for posterity!! I never knew how addictive it would become…nor how many hours I would spend blog hopping as a result!!! Thank you to all of you who take time to visit & leave such lovely, heart warming & highly entertaining comments!! Long may it continue!!!
After a day of housework, I leave you with a thought…


Now if only my menfolk would all get the message!!!!

Thanks for dropping by & have a great week all!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

fanrastic episode of Larkrise wasn't it? thoase cup cakes look fab love the stand. Remember my post about the fairy slipper her husbadn was one of the animators on alice it takes him one week to do 4-5 seconds of animation!! which meant they need about 6o animators think i must make the effort to go and see it see you soon:)

karen said...

I can't wait to see Alice when Tasmins home this weekend.Although I have only just realised its crop time again on Saturday.It seems to have come around so quick!!!

Sian said...

Well I think he looks very smart indeed! I do like a man in a dinner jacket :) Congratualtions on your year of blogging..I think the bound book is a fabulous idea and I'm very interested to know more about it so please show us when it's done!

Jocelyn said...

What a Handsome Hubby and what great pics of his Birthday Celebration.....

I have not been to the movies in quite a while...That time thing just seems to be getting in my way!!!

Wishing you a great week sweet friend!!! ENJOY!!

humel said...

Ack, Blogger ate my comment :-( I visited yesterday and left a long, beautifully-worded, carefully-thought-out comment - gone!! *sigh*...

Well, I definitely said something about yummy looking cupcakes; I also left congratulations on your 1 year of blogging; and I seem to remember asking for more info about your 'book of the blog' idea, 'cos I plan to do that too when i reach a year :-) Only, I said it much more eloquently yesterday, obviously.... ;-)

Mary said...

Sandi......didn't like Avatar as much as you did but am dying to see 'Alice' - maybe tonight! For some reason none of your photos have loaded on my PC at work so can't comment on all the lovely pics!