Saturday 11 September 2010

Remembering….

Today is the ninth anniversary of ‘Nine-Eleven’…one of those moments in history that will always be with us. They say that for occasions like this you will always remember where you were & what you were doing when you heard the news, & it is so true.

I was travelling back from a dental appointment for Alex, at the Eastman Dental Hospital in London. He was five at the time & Nathan was three & in a buggy. We had just boarded the train at Kings Cross when my mobile rang…it was Lee saying that there had been an attack on the Trade Centre in New York. I thought he was winding me up as a friend & I had only just booked a five day visit to New York, two days before!

I arrived back at the house & turned on the TV just in time to see the second plane hit, it made my blood run cold & I hardly moved from the TV for the rest of the day. Alex asked why I was watching ‘That Movie’ & I thought that that was exactly what it was like, but this was real, people were dying, horribly!

Our visit to New York, two months later, was an experience I will never forget. To see all of those ‘Missing Person’ posters & to see the still smoking ‘Ground Zero’ with part of the towers structure still standing & the huge trucks carrying away the debris was so moving. But we were made very welcome by everyone we met & the stoicism & determination of native New Yorkers was an inspiration.

So many people, all around the world, were touched by the events of that day, so I’d like to send love & hugs to anyone reading this who was..those who were lost will never be forgotten.

On a lighter note, I have some scrappiness to share with you! Firstly a LO for the latest challenge over at ‘These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things’…this time ‘My Favourite Scrapbook Manufacturer’. This was a real toughie! I use products from so many different manufacturers & enjoy them all!! I mean…where would I be without American Craft Thickers? Or Bazzill Cardstock?!!! But when I sat & thought about it, there is one manufacturer that I am always drawn to, whatever Craft shop I’m in & that’s…

Fave Scrap Manf'
…K&Company….so I’ve used everything K&Co, mainly from the Blue Awning range, but the background PP & those yellow flowers are from other collections…& I have added a few Cosmo Cricket Tiny letters!!

Finally an update on LSNED…What did I learn on September 6th???

Sept 6Well, after 24 years of marriage (& 33 years since we first met!) I learned that Lee still makes me laugh…

He has the most warped sense of humour of anyone I know & I think it’s one of the strengths of our relationship that we both find the same things amusing & are quite able to laugh at ourselves too!

Life is too short to take yourself too seriously…no-one is that important!!

The ‘Try Something New’ prompt drawn today, was ‘Incorporate ribbon into your design today’ so I used a length to attach the journaling strips & form a tab at the top, & added a bow to the photo for good measure!!

And what about September 7th? Well, Lee’s Mum & her gentleman friend, Ivor, came to visit & took us out to dinner as a belated anniversary celebration. My lesson for the day was that it is perfectly possible to say ‘No Thank You’ when offered the dessert menu!!

Sept 7But not before taking a photograph of it first of course!!  Can you read what some of those puds are? Rich chocolate mousse served with raspberries! Eton Mess! Glazed lemon tart with creme fraiche & raspberry coulis!!!

Anyone who knows me, knows what an achievement this was!

It was weigh in the next morning at Weight Watchers, so that was the best motivation. Ironically, after all my careful selection & iron willpower, I gained a lb this week, so no justice there then!!!!

 

Thanks for dropping by & I hope you’re all enjoying the weekend! : )

8 comments:

humel said...

It's so true - I remember. I was in the staff room at work and a colleague came in to tell us that she'd just heard about it. I went home soon after that, put the TV on and watched the footage. We'd just found out I was expecting The Girl, and we did wonder out loud what world we were bringing our child into. It was such a terrible, shocking event. Good for you for marking the anniversary on your blog :-)

Your pages are just gorgeous too xx (And I'm suitably impressed that you said No to dessert!)

karen said...

I was in London Colney M&S and I was told by someone that a plane had just hit the 1st tower.For some reason I knew it was serious and raced home at a 100MPH.We had just been there a few months before.Stood in that exact spot.In fact I moaned at Hubby that we hadn't stayed in the hotel there!My mum was termially ill at the time and said she was glad she wasn't going to be around to see the consequences.
As you know K&Co is my absolute fav as well.
Your book is going to be quite thick at the end.How many pages does it have?

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwww! I didn't know you were at Ground Zero 2 months after it happened...that must have been hard...I didn't make it back home till '05...4 years after...and it was still a moving and humbling sight then.... I love love love love love love that lo.....it is AMAZING Sandi!! And Loveeeeeeeee the mini!! WOW WOW WOW!! Thanks sooooooooooooooooooo much for playing along with FAVE THINGS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Jocelyn said...

Love the Lo that you completed and your pages for your book are PERFECT!!!!

I too was at Ground Zero shortly after it happened and it was life altering...I can still remember how frightened I was because Joe was in Washington DC...works for Amtrak and they had said there were possible bombs on the trains...it took us hours to reach each other by phone....Danielle was in college and they would not let them leave..... I too was glued to the TV for days and my heart still feels so heavy when I think of all the loss and death, the firemen, emt's, police officers that are still living with the memories of what they saw!!!

Thank you for honoring our country!!!! So sad that the Human Race has this much evil..and yet there are so many wonderful people!!!! Just like you my friend!!!!

Have a great day!!!

debs14 said...

We were talking about this at lunch today and my kids were saying how everyone their age remembered where they were and what they were doing when they heard. I was home from work and a friend rang and just said 'Turn on the news', couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Well done on the dessert front. I wouldn't have been so strong willed. How unfair for that pound to have gone on despite that.

scrappyjacky said...

I was at school that day.....and remember the terrible panic of our caretaker.....as his daughter was in New York at the time....and it being replayed over and over on the TV that night....such a terrible day.
But like Mel....I'm highly impressed by the 'no dessert'.....I need to learn that one as well!!!!!

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful Sandi!Love the LO for Fave Things, your design is so cool and I love that framed photo!
Your LSNED projekst are so cool and beautiful!You are so brave saying no to that yummy desert.
Loving that quote about not to take yourself so serious, always laugh about myself too, it works ;)
Thank you so much for joining us at Fave Things!

Must have been very impressive being at Ground Zero two months later!

Mel said...

Great LO's!